22 February 2017

Waiting on Wednesday | Some Small Magic & Hunted

Hosted weekly by Breaking the Spine 
to spotlight eagerly-anticipated upcoming releases.
(Similarly, Can't-Wait Wednesday is hosted by Wishful Endings.)

Happy Wednesday!

Green covers caught my eye this week and made me more excited for a couple releases by authors I've enjoyed reading in the pastand I'm hoping these books turn out to be as interesting as their covers.

Title: Some Small Magic
Author: Billy Coffey
Expected Publication Date: 14 March 2017

She whispers, “I’m supposed to take you home.”
“Not yet,” Abel says. “Please, just not yet.”

All Abel wants is a little bit of magic in his life. Enough money so his mom doesn’t cry at night. Healing for his broken body. And maybe a few answers about his past.

When Abel discovers letters to him from the dad he believed dead, he wonders if magic has come to the hills of Mattingly, Virginia, after all. But not everything is as it seems.

With a lot of questions and a little bit of hope, Abel decides to run away to find the truth. But danger follows him from the moment he jumps his first boxcar, forcing Abel to rely upon his simpleminded friend Willie—a man wanted for murder who knows more about truth than most—and a beautiful young woman who was already on the train. From Appalachia to the Tennessee wilds and through the Carolina mountains, the name of a single small town beckons: Fairhope. That is where Abel believes his magic lays. But will it be the sort that will bring a broken boy healing? And is that the magic that will one day lead him home?

“On one level, this novel continues a long line of appealing road books... But Some Small Magic is also a tale of a journey from doubt to faith, and from hardscrabble despair to the highest form of hope. It’s a vivid and compelling read, with characters so alive you expect them to step out of the pages and say hello. The final pages are so beautiful they hurt a little.”
—Stephen Kiernan, author of The Curiosity and The Baker’s Secret


Title: Hunted
Author: Meagan Spooner
Expected Publication Date: 14 March 2017

Beauty knows the Beast's forest in her bonesand in her blood.

Though Yeva grew up with the city's highest aristocrats, far from her father's old lodge, she knows that the forest holds secrets and that her father is the only hunter who's ever come close to discovering them. 

So when her father loses his fortune and moves Yeva and her sisters back to the outskirts of town, Yeva is secretly relieved. Out in the wilderness, there's no pressure to make idle chatter with vapid baronessas...or to submit to marrying a wealthy gentleman. But Yeva's father's misfortune may have cost him his mind, and when he goes missing in the woods, Yeva sets her sights on one prey: the creature he'd been obsessively tracking just before his disappearance. 

Deaf to her sisters' protests, Yeva hunts this strange Beast back into his own territorya cursed valley, a ruined castle, and a world of creatures that Yeva's only heard about in fairy tales. A world that can bring her ruin or salvation. Who will survive: the Beauty, or the Beast?


What cover's made you excited to read an upcoming release?

5 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing Hunted for quite some time but I've never seen Some Small Magic before. It sounds really interesting and I may just have to add it to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read something by Meagan Spooner one of these days. I hear such great things! Great picks!
    Check out my Can't Wait Wednesday pick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunted is on my tbr too. And I like the cover and blurb of Some Small Magic, nice pick. Its a new title for me so thanks for sharing!
    Here's My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first book is new to me but I have heard of the second book! I actually just reviewed it and I really liked the book. It's one of the better B&TB retellings I've read. I hope you love these books when you get the chance to read them!

    Have a fabulous week, Hallie. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunted is on my list and Some Small Magic sounds really good. Great pick!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete