06 October 2017

The Friday 56 & First Line Friday | Gone With the Wind

The Friday 56 is hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.
First Line Friday is hosted weekly by Hoarding Books.


Happy Friday!

I'm spending the day with the spirited Scarlett O'Hara, so here are a couple lines from Margaret Mitchell's classic novel Gone With the Wind.


First Line: Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.

From Page 56: Why the loveliest of the Robillard daughters should marry a loud-voiced, red-faced little man who came hardly up to her ears remained a mystery to all.




ABOUT THE BOOK
Gone with the Wind is a novel written by Margaret Mitchell, first published in 1936. The story is set in Clayton County, Georgia, and Atlanta during the American Civil War and Reconstruction era. It depicts the struggles of young Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to claw her way out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea. A historical novel, the story is a Bildungsroman or coming-of-age story, with the title taken from a poem written by Ernest Dowson.

Gone with the Wind was popular with American readers from the onset and was the top American fiction bestseller in the year it was published and in 1937. As of 2014, a Harris poll found it to be the second favorite book of American readers, just behind the Bible. More than 30 million copies have been printed worldwide.

Now, feel free to leave a line from a book near you in the comments below.
And be sure to stop by Hoarding Books and Freda's Voice for a peek into other books.

21 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Great first line that makes you want to know more.

    I'm sharing about "Witness Protection" by Carol Kinsey on the blog today, but I'm going to share the first line from the book I'm currently reading here.

    "All of the stories have been written, including mine."
    Lu. by Beth Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I'm really enjoying it so far.

      An interesting beginning. I'd definitely want to find out more.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to First Line Fridays Hallie! This is my grandmother's favorite book. :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy to join in the fun!

      Delete
  4. Great Book!! Happy Friday!!! My first line is from Mission Undercover by Virginia Vaughan:

    "Blake Michaels pulled into the parking lot of Northshore Medical Center and cut the engine."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really enjoying it!

      A solid start. Makes me wonder what's going on.

      Delete
  5. My favorite movie of all time!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Freda! I'm planning to watch the movie sometime after finishing the book.

      Delete
  6. Ah, a classic tale. I love the book and the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the book, Nicki. I haven't watched the movie yet.

      Delete
  7. Hi Hallie!! Welcome to the FLF group! :)

    Here's the first line of the book currently closest to me - "Someone had left the front door open." - Portrait of Vengeance by Carrie Stuart Parks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! Happy to join in the fun!

      Ooh, sounds like an ominous beginning...

      Delete
  8. I’m currently reading An Inconvenient Beauty by Kristi Ann Hunter, and that’s the book I’m doing on my FLF post today, so here I will post the first line from the novel I’m reading next. The next book on my schedule is Rancher to the Rescue by Barbara Phinney.

    Proud Bend, Colorado, April, 1883

    “Did I read that right?” Clare Walsh peered up from her chair at the Recording Office in Proud Bend, Colorado. She blinked rapidly. “My parents are gone?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for An Inconvenient Beauty! I love that series.

      A good start that could lead to any number of problems or challenges. And I always love a Colorado setting!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to FLF! I read this last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Happy to join in the fun!

      Delete
  10. I have read Gone with the Wind, but in a different century. I'd definitely forgotten the first line, which seems close to unforgiveable - it's a classic novel, and a brilliant first line. So many questions!

    I'm sharing from Where We Belong by Lynn Austen on my blog, but I'm currently reading Cardiac Event by Dr. Richard Mabry. Here's the first line:

    Dr. Cliff Hamilton watched the bright green lines of the EKG dance across the monitor screen.

    I'm finding Cardiac Event is perhaps more medical murder mystery than thriller, but there is plenty of suspense and I'm enjoying it. I'll post a full review on my website next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good first line. But don't worry—I'm so far into the book now that I didn't quite remember the first line before looking it up to post, haha.

      A good start for a medical murder mystery. Love suspense, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

      Delete
  11. I've read the book and have seen the movie - unfortunately I could never get into either...

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete